Blog

What is Screenleap?

Screenleap is a free web site that enables you to share what’s happening on your computer screen with anyone with a web browser, instantly. Viewers can see your screen from any device, including tablets and smartphones. There are no downloads, installs, fees, or sign ups required.

Super Simple Screen Sharing from Screenleap

Super Simple Screen Sharing from Screenleap

Just visit the Screenleap home page to start a session, then share the link or PIN code with your friends or colleagues, and viewers can begin seeing your computer screen instantly.

Screenleap is most useful for ad-hoc collaboration, but people use Screenleap for other purposes: remote computer support, sales demos, virtual meetings, long distance relationships, personal broadcasting, remote training, sharing photos, team projects, making travel reservations, and as a free alternative to Webex and GoToMeeting.

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInBuffer this page

, ,

6 Responses to What is Screenleap?

1. Andreas March 10, 2012 at 9:51 am #

I have screensharing via Skype already. It works pretty well. All of my friends have Skype. If not, I just tell them to download it which they usually do right on the spot.

I don’t quite see why I would want a system that does ONLY screen sharing? When I share the screen with someone, I would usually also like to TALK about it with the other party.

So in a way, this competes against Skype, which offers an extra nice feature that goes with screen sharing… voice.

Nice idea though. I can see some usage cases where people don’t necessarily have Skype (in corporate settings where it may be banned, devices that don’t support it..)

One more thing: Could it be done without Java? I have banned Java from my computer, so I actually cannot use it (unless I agreed to reinstall on my computer Java which I don’t want to do)

• Screenleap March 24, 2012 at 7:05 am #

Hi Andreas, thanks for the feedback. Yes, Skype has a screen sharing product, but you can only share your screen with one person, so I can’t be used for meetings with multiple people in different locations. Also, not everyone has Skype and if you’re in a hurry, the other person may not want to have to install Skype. With Screenleap, you can share your screen with as many people as you like at the same time. We’ve had reports of users sharing their screen with over 100+ people at the same time. Also, there’s nothing for viewers to install, and there’s no app required on smartphones or tablets. Finally, yes, Screenleap does not yet have voice, but most people already have access to voice products and/or cell phones, so they Screenleap can be used in conjunction with those voice products. We do plan to offer a voice product in the future. Thanks again for your feedback!

2. Scott C April 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

Any luck with getting to run on Android? It appears to require java.

3. antonio Salazar April 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

Can I share my iPhone or iPad screen or just the pc/mac screens?

4. antonio Salazar April 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

I imagen this software on a conference where the presenter is showing slideshow or wherever, a lot of people take pics of the screen to remember what he is telling, with this tool, he can share with the audience his screen so anybody can take pics directly from their smartphone and I guess will look better.

5. Max May 15, 2012 at 10:46 am #

I love the simplicity of this product and wanted to use it for remote support with users who are working with restricted rights so they cannot download a remote support tool and install it.
    Unfortunately, the screen sharing is so slow that I only get screen updates every 10-20 seconds or (might be the trigger), when a certain (high) percentage of the screen’s content changes.

Am I right here, that the screen has to change quite a lot for a new picture to be transmitted or is it just a very slow connection for european users?