Blog

Introducing Screenleap

Sharing what’s on your computer screen with people across the web is a magical experience that truly enables you to communicate, collaborate, share, and connect.

Introducing Screenleap

Introducing Screenleap

Prior to founding Screenleap, our team members made frequent use of screen sharing services such as WebEx and GoToMeeting. Unfortunately, these tools fall short of day-to-day needs by burdening the experience with unnecessary hurdles, ultimately causing people to avoid them altogether. Screen sharing shouldn’t be that way. It should be fast, simple, and free. This is the problem Screenleap seeks to solve.

After talking with hundreds of users about their experiences using existing screen sharing tools, we found a common list of complaints:

• Its too cumbersome to start a meeting – most of the time its just not worth it
  • It takes me five to ten minutes to start a meeting with a new viewer because they have to download and install a new application
  • My viewers can’t view it if they’re on a smartphone or tablet device
  • My viewers refuse to install the application or I don’t want to burden them with a required install
  • Its too complicated – I can’t figure it out
  • The service is expensive, or I don’t want to pay

We share these frustrations and resolved to launch a product that completely eliminates, or drastically mitigates, each of the above complaints. The result is found at Screenleap.com and is the product of countless hours of research, hacking, coding, and user input.

The Screenleap mission is to make screen sharing as simple, fast, free, and easy as possible.

So today we officially launch Screenleap to the public with the following alpha features:

• Two-click instant screen sharing for first time users
  • One-click instant screen sharing for visitors who have previously granted permission to our applet
  • No accounts required
  • No application install to view a screen
  • Works on any connected mobile or tablet device with a browser
  • The basic version is Free, and always will be

Thanks for taking the time to learn about Screenleap. Please use the service often, and stay in touch by following us on Twitter, Liking us on Facebook, and bookmarking our blog and home page. And if you like our service, spread the word to your friends and colleagues, and if you have feedback or problems on the site, don’t hesitate to contact us.

If you haven’t already, please visit the Screenleap home page to start you first free screen sharing session today: Screenleap Home Page

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInBuffer this page

, , , , , , ,

27 Responses to Introducing Screenleap

1. Andrew January 27, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Very cool product guys, and thanks for making it free. I used this at work today for a client who needed me to give them instructions on how to do something with our software product. We went back and forth with me asking them what they saw. Then I remembered Screenleap and had them start a session with me. It worked incredibly smoothly and I was able to see the client’s screen in just a few seconds without them having to install anything. Truly amazing. I’m loving Screenleap and will definitely be using it again!

2. Rajeev January 27, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

When I heard about this product I decided to bookmark it and use it as a backup for my GoToMeeting. Now its flip flopped the other way around. Screenleap is my primary day to day screen sharing tool, and GoToMeeting is my once in a blue moon tool when i have a major meeting that needs to occur. For day to day usage, Screenleap is the only way to go. Thanks much!

3. Eric January 28, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

I have a Webex account at work which is for conducting meetings and sales presentations. But my experience with Webex is that its a major pain in the butt to get meetings started and always seems to let me down at just the wrong time. The other day I was having trouble getting a Webex going, and someone on the call shouted out that I should just use Screenleap. I was amazed. Without having to install anything, I had a screen sharing session started in about 15 seconds. This product is a life saver.

4. Patrick January 29, 2012 at 4:30 am #

My company is too cheap to buy a screen sharing service, and I’m certainly not going to pay for one out of my own pocket for work. Enter Screenleap. Free, fast, and easy – problem solved. Thanks so much guys!

5. Bob Walters February 2, 2012 at 12:30 am #

Even my mother will ultimately thank you, as this will make it soooo much easier to help her….

Bravo.

Bob

6. Chris February 2, 2012 at 6:04 am #

Great product. Any plans on allowing shared control of the screen?

• Screenleap March 19, 2012 at 6:36 am #

Hi @Chris – we do have long term plans to offer shared control of the screen, but this is not something that is on our immediate roadmap.

7. Benji York February 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

screenleap is great! Keep up the good work.

Feature request (perhaps for the pay version): the ability to share a single window. My need for this feature is what keeps me from using screenleap on a regular basis.

• Screenleap March 19, 2012 at 6:37 am #

Hi @Benji York – yes – we plan to offer this in the future. Please stay tuned for when we have this available!

8. Amogh March 8, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Comment same as Benji’s. Do we have a feature to share control ?

9. Alexis Doval March 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Someone at Diigo asked if this replaces Reflection, but as far as I can tell it is one way – computer to iPad, not iPad to computer/projector. Can I share an iPad/tablet screen?

• Screenleap March 19, 2012 at 6:38 am #

Hi @Alexis Doval – you are correct, currently its one-way – computer to iPad / smart phone. In the future, we plan to enable sharing from mobile devices. Thanks for checking us out!

10. Mike D. March 26, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Hi, great product! Works well. Any plans for shared audio?
    Thanks.

11. John March 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Are there any anti virus programs that have conflicts? I tried running on firefox and chrome but the applet doesn’t seem to load– just keeps “loading”. Any advice?

• stranger May 22, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

Your Chrome doesn’t allow Java to run. Make sure in Chrome options that you allow Java to run on Chrome. The same is for Firefox. Also, maybe you don’t have Java at all on your computer. Download it for free.

12. Nicholas Morin March 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Great product guys, but it seems there is about a 30 second lag between refreshing. Is this typical?

• Max May 15, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Same problem here.

13. Pat March 29, 2012 at 8:33 am #

Great service!
    Used it on several MacBooks, Linux, iPhone, iPAD, Galaxy GT-P1000 (Android) … worked well.
    Congratulations and please, keep it up – thank you.

I’ve got some privacy concerns, though:
    – We should be using https
    – We should be (technically) assured, that nobody can get at the session content in an unencrypted form
    – We should be assured, that no session recording takes palce

So, with the exception of https that’s probably a tall order, therfore my question:
    Would you consider licensing your product to use it in a closed user group – on one’s own server? And if yes, what would you want to charge and what would the technical prereqs be? Please send me a PM.
    Thanks again.

14. Karen March 29, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Just used screenleap with my designer. It saved me time and moeny, its awesome! Thanks

15. Vincent March 29, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

Wow guys, sometimes life’s still full of wonders!!
    Since my relatives live a couple of hundreds of Km away (yes the techies guessed it: I’m the
    family support guy 🙂 ) I’ve been looking for some weeks now, to find a simple tool to help them remote. I don’t know where I stumbled upon you, but you saved me and my relatives a lot of frustration and work. Combined with skype I can realy help now. Of course, remote control would finish it of completely for me, but I’m very content already. All this for free. THANKS a lot.
    Vince

16. Ravikumar Babu March 30, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Just curious, does this work across various browsers and operating systems. For example, if I am using Safari on Mac, will others using IE on Windows be able to view my desktop?

• Ravikumar Babu April 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Tested it myself twice, it is working across various platforms. I was able to share my Mac OS screen with a colleague who was using Windows.

17. Sanjay April 4, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Hi,

Screenleap is an amazing tool. However I would like to know if this is absolutely safe as in the screen is not shared when I don’t want to. Would the previously sent link allow the person to share my screen?? How long the link is valid??

18. em April 4, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

Great product! THANKS!

19. Roy April 15, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Good product. Fast and easy but, like others have suggested, it would benefit from screen sharing.

I also find the reliance on the host having Java a little restrictive – although still common in businesses, most home users don’t need Java. It’s one more thing to keep updated (or risk security vulnerabilities).

20. Romet April 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

What is the maximum number of viewers in one session?

21. Tony May 16, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Same comment from Romet above…how many viewers can I have?